Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Miller Time: The Toasts

Neill and I wanted to have as much fun as possible at the reception so we opted to do all of the reception rigmarole in one swoop. So, we planned to do the toasts, cut the cake, and then have our first dance one right after the other. While that was a relatively easy decision for us, deciding when to do these things was more difficult. Or - at least it seemed like it was at the time. Looking back, I can't help but chuckle that I spent so much time trying to create the "perfect" time-line. I chalk it up to wedding brain.

Anyway, in the end we scheduled the toasts to start at 8:30--an hour and a half into the reception. With our reception going from 7 to 11, we wanted everyone to have ample time to have a drink (or five), eat, and catch up with friends before opening the dance floor. Mainly the time for everyone to drink - you know how no one likes to shake their groove thing stone cold sober :)

So, at 8:30 Neill's two co-best men and my maid of honor gave wonderful heart felt toasts.






My maid of honor was kind enough let me share her toast with all of you. It brought tears to my eyes the first time I heard it and rereading it now makes me feel all sappy inside. (I replaced my family's very unique last name with stars for privacy sake).
I want to take a moment to thank Alisha and Neill for inviting me to be a part of this wonderful occasion. I also want to raise a glass to the Miller family, it has been a pleasure to get to know you better, and to the ******  family, it has been so meaningful to know you and spend many wonderful occasions with you, and I am overjoyed to be here celebrating with you all.

For those of you who don’ t know me, I’ m Gracie and I have known Alisha for the past 16 years. Needless to say, Alisha and I have been through a lot together, and through all the changing fashions and fads and there have been many- spice girls and “ girl power,” clueless inspired platform shoes, bell bottoms the second time around and cleverly renamed “ flared” jeans, and most recently 80’ s tapered jeans, which we all said we’ d never wear, masquerading as “ skinny” jeans- our friendship has remained a constant- a classic, always there, always comfortable, and always fitting like a glove. I have had the joy and pleasure of being a part of Alisha’ s life, and I couldn’t ask for a better sister to call my dearest friend.
Likewise, I had the good fortune of having been there the day that Alisha first met Neill. Neill was DJing an event at the clothing store where Alisha worked and I, like the good college student I was, was there for the perks that an after hours store event offers. If I had known then what I know now, when Alisha asked me nervously if I thought the DJ Neill was cute and should she talk to him, I would tell her without hesitation that the only perk worth pursueing that night was Neill. I couldn’ t imagine a better partner for Alisha and I know their love will continue to grow and flourish forever. Here’ s to you, Alisha and Neill, your future and all the fads and fashions you will love, and outgrow together.

CHEERS!
Then, Neill and I gave a quick impromptu thank you speech and told everyone to follow us into the other room for the cake cutting and first dance.


I really treasured the toasts. I mean, it's not every day that the people closest to you prepare speeches and lavish you with kind words and funny stories. It is something pretty special. I think Neill and I are both really lucky to have people in our life that took the time to carefully craft meaningful well-wishes. In fact, I enjoyed it so much I kind of wish we had asked more people to say a few words. But, c'est la vie - we had a cake cutting to get to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Every comment brings a smile to my face!