Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Big Star

When Big Star opened up in the former Pontiac Cafe location there was buzz galore about their up-scale tacos, drink selection, and uber-hip crowd. So I did what I always do in situations like this--avoided the place like the plague.

Eventually the buzz simmered down and I felt it was safe to give it a try. I started out timidly, ordering tacos at their walk-up window. It was fun to step out from my usual order of steak tacos and I really liked the tacos al pastor, the tacos de panza, and the tinga de pollo.

image via chicago now
Then, the other night, I dove right into the snakes den and actually had dinner at Big Star with a friend . . . like in side sitting down and everything. And guess what?

image via rock n roll ghost

The space is really nice! I liked the lighting in there. I felt like it made everyone 5% more attractive. Plus, the food was even better eating it right when it was ready instead of bringing it home and I got to try one of their cocktails. I ordered a La Paloma (lunazul blanco, grapefruit, lime, mexican fresca) and it was delicious. ( I've got to be honest - I didn't even know what kind of liquor lunazul blanco was, but the description sounded yummo. I just looked it up and it is tequila.)  I really wanted to end the night with one of their mexican hot-chocolate, but somehow I was able to exert some ounce of self-control and walk away. But, you should get some if you go this winter because it is perfection.

 So, there you have it. My big review of Big Star. What do you think of the place?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Every comment brings a smile to my face!