Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Hump Day

Wednesday = Hump Day.

This is the day when you can find me muttering to myself, "if I can just make it through today everything will be okay". And this is very true. My weeks tend to be heavily front loaded. Tuesday may be the toughest. Statistics for two and a half hours followed up very quickly be a lab meeting. My mind is already mush after stats so it is a real fight to stay alert at lab meeting, which yesterday didn't end until 5:30. And then I had to finish grading papers before I could go home. Poo. This aint no 9 to 5.

Thursdays are a bit rough too - an assessment workshop where we learn how to use different intelligence and personality tests and then right after Intro to the Profession of Clinical Psychology. Both of those classes are a bit laid back, so it is not so much mind numbing as hunger inducing. If you don't bring your lunch, you are screwed. Unless you are one of those skinny bitches that can go for hours without eating.

This Thursday, I'm adding one more thing to that string of events and heading over to the Wellness Center right after class to try and observe an intake session. I'm pretty pumped about it because there is only so much you can understand from reading about clinical interviewing.

Fridays are probably the best, because I have no class. Yep. I'm lucky. Every other week I have a brown bag I have to go to between 12 and 1, but other than that no standing meetings. Just lots of time to catch up on the reading :)

Mondays aren't awful, except for the fact that they are Mondays. I have the lecture portion of assessment for two and a half hours. And that's it. Why do they suck? I always have hours and hours of reading to do for that class.

It's interesting, class doesn't really take up too much time. Its the work they give you outside of it that is the tough part. Last night I think I read about 100 pages in a text book, 3 journal articles, and then researched the controversy of psychologists and torture for a class presentation I have to give on Thursday. Monday, I spent waaaay too many hours grading. That was mind numbing. For lab next Tuesday I have to prepare synopsis of the literature on two methodological issues. I don't even know how to go about doing that. shhhh. All I know is that is will for sure take about 20+hours.

Anyhoo, I didn't intend to turn this into a rant. The overall message is supposed to be positive. If you can make it through hump day, then everything will be okay.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! Wednesdays are 1) My favorite tv day and 2) the middle of the week. So even if your week is top heavy or bottom heavy, it feels great to get to Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Every comment brings a smile to my face!