Monday, August 4, 2008

Inspiring

At work today I was reading an article on stretch marks from the Huffington Post. The article is very tongue and cheek, but it makes a really important point. Lots of real women have stretch marks (whether from growing tall or wide or lumpy or whatever combination of those), but yet I rarely see any out and about (that is, besides my own). Why is this? Why are stretch marks considered unattractive? I know most women complain about them, but how do men feel? I'm not particularly bothered by my stretch marks (mostly because I feel like I've got bigger body issues to fry...um cellulite anyone?), but I also never felt as though any of my partners were concerned with them either. What is the big deal with them?

Anyways, the huffington post article linked to this great website called The Shape of A Mother. Awesome! The site's owner writes:

"It is my dream, then, to create this website where women of all ages, shapes, sizes and nationalities can share images of their bodies so it will no longer be secret. So we can finally see what women really look like sans airbrushes and plastic surgery. I think it would be nothing short of amazing if a few of our hearts are healed, or if we begin to cherish our new bodies which have done so much for the human race. What if the next generation grows up knowing how normal our bodies are? How truly awesome would that be?"
What an inspiring message! I'm sure lots of people might see the women who are featured on this website and think that they are gross or repulsive or fat or whatever, but I think words like amazing and brave are more accurate. I apploud them for accepting and loving their bodies for what they are--strong and natural. Its so rare that we see women like this that it is easy to forget that the majority of women have stretch marks, or lumps, or rolls, or whatever. Looking at stuff like this reminds me to be a little kinder to myself and show my body some love!

1 comment:

  1. wow, that is an interesting site -- good concept for sure!

    a lot of people have stretch marks. i don't think people notice them on others unless people are showing them off, or wearing something that emphasizes them (or rather, not wearing).

    i love you the way you are, always!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Every comment brings a smile to my face!